Site supervision is the monitoring of progress and supervision of the construction process of the contractor. Currently, construction supervision work in the field is almost an official profession. Because it is a relatively new profession, many people still do not understand this job well. So let’s find out with Miami Contractors what the position of a field supervisor is and how to become a promising field supervisor.
What is the job of a field supervisor?
When entering the construction profession, most of you will often have to experience supervisory work. So what is the job of field monitoring? Is it as hard as many people think?
Site supervision engineers monitor and control the quality and volume of construction works by current standards. In addition, this job also requires the responsibility of monitoring project progress and safety issues for workers. All to create works of the best quality, on time, and minimize costs.
The job name sounds quite simple, but to do it well requires people in the profession to have specific knowledge and understanding of the construction process. At the same time, they must have a practicing certificate as prescribed by law. Construction supervision work includes:
- Monitoring the implementation of the conditions specified in the contract: Each project before construction usually has set conditions agreed upon by the investor and the contractor. And the first thing a monitoring engineer needs to know is to monitor those conditions to see if both parties are doing it right. These conditions usually include:
+ Project progress. + cost of purchasing construction materials, cost of design, and construction.
+ Number of employees, types of insurance for employees (accident insurance, occupational safety insurance, …).
- Checking the contractor’s capacity: One of the critical factors to help the project achieve quality is that the contractor must have experience managing the construction team. At the same time, the contractor also gives the cost and quotes the materials. In summary, the engineer’s job at this stage is:
+ Check the capacity of each person in the construction team. Closely monitor equipment and machinery, and check the origin and quality of inputs to serve the construction of works.
+ Check and manage the quality of the work the contractor is doing.
+ Monitor and check construction permit information to ensure that all types of machinery and equipment meet quality requirements.
+ Inspect and record building materials laboratories, production facilities, and construction products for the project.
- Checking and monitoring the quality of building materials: The core factor affecting the construction quality is the building materials’ quality. The better the material, the more solid and durable the construction. Therefore, construction engineers, when performing supervision work, need to:
+ Check the quality of the manufacturers, assess the reputation, and at the same time, pay attention to the quality test results of the materials and whether the structure of the bale is by the general standards.
+ In case of doubt about the quality of building materials, engineers and investors need to inspect fabrics to avoid risks during construction directly.
- Supervision and monitoring of the entire construction process: The management will ensure that the project is constructed on schedule, by the commitment to quality standards, and can quickly grasp the arising situations and problems. From which to promptly handle. Engineers will need to pay attention to the following issues:
+ Closely monitor the contractor’s construction process.
+ Must record the inspection results in the minutes and the construction logbook.
+ Confirm as-built drawings of the project.
+ Conduct project acceptance test.
+ Check all documents regarding the acceptance of works, materials, equipment, machinery, each item, and completion of construction works.
+ Report to the investor when detecting errors so they can correct them in time.
+ Organize re-inspection of the quality of construction parts and items if there is any doubt about the quality.
+ Coordinating and presiding over parties having problems, solving problems and conflicts arising during and after implementation.
How to become a promising field supervisor?
To become a promising field supervisor, in addition to mastering professional knowledge and skills, you need to:
- Good organization and management skills. Because the tasks are many, you may be forgotten, confused, or wrong, leading to severe effects if not arranged well.
- Good communication skills, dynamic and creative.
- Capable of working independently and in a team.
- Able to work at high intensity and under pressure.
- Proficient in-office computer and other necessary software for work
Thus, it can be seen that construction supervision work is not simply monitoring and managing appointments but also having to do many different things. Therefore, investors should use construction supervision services from reputable companies to ensure the best quality project work.
Through the above article, we have introduced you to the job of a field supervision engineer when working for a contractor. A completed project is thanks to many people achieving their tasks so that the construction can be done smoothly. Not only the supervisory engineer owner but also many other people. Therefore, building a project is never easy. If you want to make a house, it’s best to find a reputable contractor. A reputable contractor will take care of all this hard work for you.